RebeccaMargolick is a Canadian choreographer and dancer based in Peekskill, New York andBritish Columbia, and born and raised in Vancouver Canada. Her multi-disciplinary,solo, and group choreographic works have been presented in Germany, France,Costa Rica, Singapore, Poland, Bulgaria, Israel, Mexico, United States andCanada. She was named Top 25 to Watch in 2021 from Dance Magazine. Her solo Bunker + Vault won the Jury Prize for“best indoor choreographic work” at the 2019 Festival Quartiers Danse inMontreal, and her short solo Bunkerreceived audience awards for both nights of the 2022 SOLOCOREOGRAFICO Festivalin Frankfurt.
Rebeccahas been commissioned nationally and internationally to create works on BalletB.C. Performance Project (Vancouver), LITVAK Dance (San Diego), UNA Danza Joven(Heredia, Costa Rica), the Ailey/Fordham BFA Program (New York City), theMichiyaya Dance (New York City), A/R Pour La Danse (Toulouse, France) andDancePORT Derida (Sofia, Bulgaria).
Rebeccahas received fellowships from the Ailvin Ailey Dance Foundation New DirectionsChoreography Lab under the mentorship of Gus Solomons Jr, LABA at the 14thSt Y, and the Conney Conference. She has received residencies from the BanffCentre for the Arts, BC Movement Arts Society, Dance Deck Vancouver, La GalerieChorégraphique (France), and the GPS Fund Movement Research Artist in Residenceat Derida Dance Center (Bulgaria).
Sheis currently house choreographer, rehearsal director, and a dancer with ChuckWilt’s UNA Productions. She was a dancerwith Sidra Bell Dance New York from 2012-2016.
Freelancing, she has worked with a number of artists including Allen Kaeja, Belinda McGuire, Shay Keubler, Aszure Barton, Donald Sales, Derrick Belcham, Kayla Farrish, Patricia Norowol, Jerome Bel (The Show Must Go On), Emily Terndrup, Maya Orchin and Barak Marshall, among others.
Rebecca is an Artistic Associate of BC Movement Arts Society - a non profit society based in the remote village of Sointula, British Columbia, bringing together urban and rural to present contemporary dance, residencies and associated outreach.
Rebecca has guest taught at Simon Fraser University (BC), ArtsWells Festival (BC), ArtsUmbrella (BC), Harbour Dance Centre (BC), UArts (Philadelphia), Derida Dance(Bulgaria), Ailey School (NY), and New York University.
Rebecca graduated from New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, with a BFA inDance and had her prior training at Arts Umbrella in Vancouver.
Examples of recent Choreographic work created in and performed in Canada:
· Presented in Vancouver in the 2022 Dancing on the Edge Festival – choreographed and performed in her full-length solo Bunker+ Vault.
· Presented in Montreal in the 2022 Quartiers Danses – choreographed and performed in her full-length solo Bunker + Vault.
· She was commissioned by Vancouver based Ballet BC to create a new work, Citadel, for its 2021/2022 PerformanceProject program for 10 BC based professional emerging dancers.
· TheCanadian Embassy in Costa Rica contracted Rebecca for a 2022 choreographic creation for UNA Danza Joven of La Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica.
· Co-Choreographed with BC based choreographer/dancer Livona Ellis, a 20-minute duet entitled Fortress (2021). It was created in Vancouver and Sointula BC.
o Margolicand Ellis received a Canada Council creation grant to turn ‘Fortress’ into a full-lengthduet. Creation process started in Vancouver 2022 (completion in 2023).
· Performed her solo work and the duet Fortress in a shared evening with Livona Ellis in Vancouver presented by The DanceCentre and BC Movement Arts Society (2021).
· A2020/2021 choreographic artist in residence at the Dance Deck in Vancouver with public presentations of her work Harbour created during these residencies.
· DanceArtist in Residence at The Banff Centre for the Arts for choreographic research(December 2019).
· Had choreographic creation residencies with BC Movement Arts Society (2018 and 2021)
· Performed her solo choreographic work in Vancouver in a shared evening of solos.Presented by The Dance Centre (2020)
· Presented in Montreal in the 2019 Quartiers Danse – choreographed and performed in her 18minute version Bunker + Vault.
· Presented in BC (2021) – choreographed and performed her solo Harbour. The work was performed in Sointula, and ‘Namgis Nation/Alert Bay and New York City.
· Choreographed a trio work for herself and violinist composer Hannah Epperson and interactive media artist Maxx Berkowitz in Wells BC as well as an artist in resident – the trio Catenary was presented in Wells,BC by the Island Mountain Arts Society (2019)
· She co-choreographed with Troy Ogilvie a dance work with cognitively diverse adults that was premiered in a shared evening of choreography by Rebecca and Troy –presented by the 2019 Chutzpah! Festival in Vancouver.
· Creation process in Sointula BC of her multi-disciplinary work birds sing a pretty song with work in progress presentation in Sointula (2017) and the Canadian premiere of the finished work presented by the2018 Chutzpah! Festival Plus in Vancouver. The work had a tour after toSeattle, San Diego, Bulgaria and Israel.
· Performed her solo Ministry – presented inWells BC by the Island Mountain Arts Society – ArtsWells Festival (2018).
· Taught choreographic process and modern technique for Arts Umbrella in Vancouver BC(2017, 2018, 2019).